From cavities to tooth pain to a fear of the dentist, CBD is an incredible addition to any healthy dental care routine. Find out how CBD eases dental woes. CBD Oil for Oral Health: Can It Help with Gum Disease? When you fail to take routine care of your gums, teeth and mouth, there are chances that you will end developing gum disease. The first
CBD Oil Benefits for Better Dental & Overall Health
Are you afraid to go to the dentist? You’re not alone. One out of every four people has dental anxiety. Dental phobia is more common than a phobia of heights! ( 1 ) CBD for dental anxiety is an excellent solution. Science and user reports agree: taking CBD oil reduces anxiety. (Plus, it’s great for your dental health in other ways!)
My patients benefit from a dose of CBD right before dental procedures . But there’s a lot of misinformation out there around hemp and CBD oil benefits.
I have good news for you.
I’m going to explain how to use CBD oil not only to calm dental anxiety but also for pain, inflammation, better sleep, and even faster healing after dental procedures.
What is CBD oil?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of the two major compounds found in cannabis and hemp plants. THC is the major compound in cannabis that causes the “high” of marijuana. On the other hand, CBD is non-psychoactive, which means it doesn’t cause a “high.”
It can help with mental function, though. That’s why many people take CBD oil for anxiety and depression.
Testing cannabidiol is pretty complicated for scientists because of legal roadblocks. Even so, there are some exciting studies on what CBD can do—and the results are astounding.
Taking CBD oil for anxiety can also help with inflammation, pain, neurological issues, and more. ( 2 )
CBD is an oil extract, but it’s not strongly antibacterial like most essential oil products . That’s why I love it! (Killing all the bacteria in your mouth might sound like a good idea, but it’s not. You can wreck your oral microbiome that way, which will lead to more oral and dental woes down the road.)
Besides relieving “going to the dentist anxiety,” I suggest my patients use CBD oil for pain, which is often caused by inflammation from dental work. CBD is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory compounds in the world and generally causes zero side effects. You can’t say that about any medication prescribed for pain!
You might see CBD oil labeled “hemp oil.” It’s available in several forms like capsules, sprays, and oil extracts.
6 CBD Oil Benefits For Better Dental and Oral Health
You might want to try CBD oil if you have:
- Symptoms of anxiety about dental procedures or visits (even dental phobia)
- Poor sleep quality
- Chronic dental/oral pain to hot and cold
- Digestive problems after using anesthesia or numbing agents
- Receding gums
- Gum disease (periodontitis, gingivitis, etc.)
Let’s look at some of the benefits of CBD for dental anxiety and other conditions related to the health of your mouth and teeth.
1. Take CBD Oil for Anxiety to Reduce Fear at the Dentist
Does CBD relieve anxiety?
Several studies have found that both CBD oil and full cannabis help reduce anxiety. ( 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 )
Statistics tell us many people are scared of the dentist. That’s why CBD for dental anxiety has become my go-to remedy. I’ve seen the improvements my patients experience after taking CBD for dental anxiety.
If you’re wondering how to deal with dental anxiety, CBD may benefit you.
CBD Oil for Oral Health: Can It Help with Gum Disease?
When you fail to take routine care of your gums, teeth and mouth, there are chances that you will end developing gum disease. The first stage of gum disease is medically known as gingivitis, where gums start bleeding and sometimes, even hurt, which is usually, the second stage, known as periodontitis.
The best way to keep your gums healthy and happy is to brush and floss your teeth on a regular basis. Even so, we aren’t used to taking proper care of our oral health. Perhaps this is the reason why more than 40% of the adult population pays a visit to the dentist once in a month or two. While there are several medical procedures and medicines available to help you take care of your gums, CBD is one natural and potent way to do the same. In fact, many people suffering from gum disease have reportedly felt relieved in their pain, bleeding and bad breath of the gums. How CBD oil can do that, we will find out in a jiffy!
What is CBD oil?
Cannabidiol, popularly known as CBD, is a naturally-occurring compound found in the cannabis family. It is one of the 104 compounds that are a part of the cannabis sativa plant. However, it is specially known for not containing any or almost nil quantity of THC—another cannabis compound responsible for getting you high or stoned. Thus, CBD is a non-psychoactive substance. The best thing about this product is that CBD has proven therapeutic abilities. For instance, it has helped people from across the globe in dealing with their anxiety, depression, inflammation, and chronic pains, amongst many other health conditions. While research is still in its infancy to prove its potential as a natural medical treatment, there are several anecdotes that are affirmative in nature. In the same way, CBD oil is being considered as a great alternative to help you keep your oral health in place.
CBD and Oral health
One should know that prescribing medicine should still be your number one pick, when it comes to seriously taking care of your gums. However, using CBD as a supplement in the beginning will make you realize why it is an option worth-going after. Even scientists have approved the CBD has many properties that can bring improvement in your oral health, such as-
- It is anti-bacterial in nature
- It also has analgesic or pain-relieving characteristics
- It is antiseptic in nature
- It is anti-inflammatory as well
Thus, there are several dental conditions where CBD oil comes in handy. Some of them are listed below-
- Tooth decay – The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD makes it a good aid for minor tooth decay. It can also reverse the damage in some cases.
- Tooth ache –It’s anti-inflammatory and pain-killing characteristics again help in relieving people from any kind of toothache. The best part is that it is a natural healer. Thus, no side effects.
- Swollen gums – Due to bad dental hygiene, many people develop bacteria in their gums which leads to their swelling. This can also result in bleeding and ache, if not treated within time. Swollen gums can also be a result of inflammation, and this is where CBD can help in making them healthy again.
- Tooth sensitivity – A swollen nerve often leads to sensitivity in tooth or gums. CBD has the ability to create a cover or a shield on the sensitive tooth or gum, in order to protect it from hurting or being exposed to the damage.
How to apply CBD oil in gums?
The application of CBD oil depends on the oral area that you have a problem in. Even so, here are some suggestions on how to apply CBD oil in your gums.
- If you want you can directly buy a CBD toothpaste, or simply add a few drops of CBD oil in your toothpaste before brushing your teeth.
- If you suffer from toothache, then directly apply the oil on the region where it hurts the most. That would bring you instant relief as well. The same can be done in case of swollen gums.
- Another way of consuming the oil is by adding a few drops in your tea or coffee and gargling the same in your mouth, especially close to the area where your problem is.
- If you had a dental surgery, then you can simply add a few drops of the oil on a gauze pad and put the same in the space left after the surgery. The pad will help in reducing the pain since CBD is an analgesic.
Conclusion: Can CBD Help Oral Health?
CBD oil is the quickest way to relieve your gums from pain, bleeding and swelling. Also, it is a natural product that is easily available in the market. You must also know that there are no side-effects of consuming CBD. However, you might have to decide on the dosage of the oil yourself. You can start with the minimum dosage and stop when you feel you have reached your ideal dosage. In any case, CBD is absolutely safe to consume and there hasn’t been a single case of CBD overdose. All you have to do is make sure that you are buying your CBD oil from a reputable company and you will be good to try this magical compound!